I’ve a deep love and appreciation for ketchup. (You’ve seen my Cranberry Chipotle Ketchup recipe, proper?) So naturally, after I noticed that Heinz was introducing a ketchup made with balsamic vinegar, I made a decision that I wanted to attempt it instantly. After which I discovered it wasn’t obtainable in every single place; it appeared the shops I frequent should not shops that carry it. Clearly, I needed to attempt to make it myself. Clearly!
I tailored this balsamic ketchup recipe from Severe Eats’ Home made Ketchup. Are you able to make ketchup? Let’s get began!
You will have these items:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (28 oz) can tomato puree
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/four cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp floor mustard
- 1/eight tsp floor cloves, for that sure je ne sais quoi (sure, the “quoi” in ketchup is cloves—of this, I’m sure)
- 1/eight tsp allspice
- 1/eight tsp cayenne pepper
- Warmth the oil in a medium saucepan over medium warmth. Add the onion and sauté till simply starting to brown, about eight minutes, stirring sometimes. Add minced garlic and cook dinner a further 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato puree, brown sugar, vinegar, tomato paste, salt, mustard, cloves, allspice, and cayenne pepper to the saucepan and stir. That you must be stirring it or the tomato sauce will bubble and gurgle and spatter throughout your range. Nobody desires that! Convey to a boil, then cut back warmth to low. Partially cowl to stop aforementioned spattering and simmer for about an hour (or till combination has thickened to the consistency of ketchup).
- Use an immersion blender to puree the ketchup till clean. Alternately, you’ll be able to dump the contents of the saucepan into your blender or meals processor and puree it that means.
- Eat your ketchup. Eat it with fries! Eat it with tater tots! Home made ketchup is rather more tomato-y than the sort you purchase; the addition of balsamic vinegar provides this ketchup a depth of taste you don’t get in common ketchup. It goes effectively with absolutely anything, however we actually appreciated it with candy potato fries.
Making your personal ketchup was an incredible, rewarding expertise, proper? And now you’re able to make extra condiments, sure? Strive making your personal mustard or whipping up some mayo with Julie from Burnt Carrots.